Thursday 14 January 2010

More ballet.


I took my Mum and Nana to see Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake at Sadler's Wells, it was their Christmas present. Nana had already expressed an interest in the production since she's very keen on male ballet dancer's torsos, but my mother had no idea what she was going to. She said afterwards (with a tear in her eye and a wobble in her voice) that is was the best Christmas present ever.

I, like my Nana before me am partial to a well-honed male torso, glistening with sweat, but that's not what this was about (so I've been told.) I was completely bowled over by how different this production was to other classical ballets I have seen. The male swans were powerful, beautiful and sexually aggressive, the set was underplayed; an ominous looming presence rather than a distraction from the dancing, which was almost scary in its intensity. Pieces such as the club scene were lively, yet often tragicomic interludes of modern dance which instantly updated Tchaikovsky's legendary score. Clichéd as it is, I laughed; I cried. Ah me.

I'm not going to bother rehashing the shining praise for Matthew Bourne and his powerfully moving production which recreates, almost subverts classical ballet. I am just going to tell you that you have to go and see it. If you have already seen it, please go again. I will. You have until the 24th of this month. GO!

Watch the trailer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment