Thursday 3 December 2009

Red Door


The Red Door in Greenwich is the nicest cafe-slash-gift-shop I've been in for a long time, possibly ever. It made me want to start my own tiny tea room with a sideline in charming jewellery, ceramics and drawings by local artists.


I cannot fault it. We happened across the shop in the afternoon having been attracted in by some stunning feathered fascinators in the window. We were immediately charmed by the quirky necklaces and vowed to return later to try one of the hefty chocolate brownies in the window. I'm so glad we did.


We sat in a little sitting room at the back of the shop on magenta velvet sofas. This area is available to hire free-of-charge for meetings, interviews and book clubs. The brownie was almost too big to manage (I say almost, as it would take a pretty large brownie to beat me) crisp on the ouside and chewy and delicious on the inside, studded with massive chunks of chocolate. It was a king amongst brownies for sure. Everything was served on pretty mismatched vintage china. Sigh. With a pot of Earl Grey for two, we were charged a massive three pounds forty each. I told you there's no faulting this place didn't I?


A range of gluten free items, fairtrade coffee and toys to keep children amused further recommend this place as one of the best local gems in South London. I left with a really pretty bumblebee necklace too, but could happily have bought everything. I would tell you to go yourself, but that would mean I wouldn't be able to get a table, and that would be very sad indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment