Wednesday 22 February 2012

Nigella's salted caramel sauce


Being a true sucker for a food trend (with several failed attempts at macarons under my belt) there was only one thing I wanted to pour all over my pancakes this year - salted caramel. Thankfully it's much easier to make than f*£$%@#g macarons thanks to Nigella. Armed with her Stylist recipe I set to work on Monday night, decadently doubling up the ingredients, as I feel it's what she would have wanted.

I'm just going to copy the recipe wholesale from the Stylist website, since I followed it to the letter (but with twice as much of all ingredients)

Ingredients

75g best quality unsalted butter
50 g soft light brown sugar
50 g caster Sugar
50g golden syrup
125ml double cream
half to one-and-a-half teaspoons fleur de sel (Note: don't be faint-hearted with the salt, otherwise it's just caramel sauce)

Method

Step 1: Melt butter, sugars and syrup and butter in a small heavy based pan and let simmer for 3 minutes, swirling every now and again.
Step 2: Add cream and half a teaspoon of fleur de sel salt (not table salt!) and swirl again, give a stir with a wooden spoon and taste – go cautiously so that you don’t burn your tongue – to see if you want more salt before letting it cook for another minute on the stove, then pour into a jug for serving.
Now you’ve got your sauce, you’re ready to take your next steps: eating it. My suggestions are as follows: In the first instance, and for ease, just dribble it over vanilla ice cream. But next up, please consider adding a warm brownie (regular, not the bacon ones) to this pairing. Or drizzle over chocolate melting-bellied fondant puddings or chocolate cake. Or pour over clotted cream and Christmas pud (and see below). But it is not just this realm that welcomes the sauce: it makes a divine and rakishly chic accompaniment to apple crumble, apple cake or simple baked apple.

I filled a medium sized tupperware with sauce, took it to a pancake party of eight people and had some to take home. Which I will probably eat tonight in front of some sort of guilty pleasure TV program (New Girl in all liklihood) since Simon is in Manchester so we don't have to watch subtitled dramas or Nicolas Cage films.

I'm aware that this is turning into a sauce blog. I promise I'll cook something solid soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment